Apr 15, 2016

Bathing


I have started working on my Bathtime Madonna. I love the purple and gold against the red. I've been wondering why my work is tending toward babies and baths. I haven't really planned a series, but it is coming out that way. Maybe it is because both of my girls are having babies right now. New granny... part of a new role in life. 

I think too that I've been contemplating this theme for a while. Not too long ago my mother's back went out and I had to help her get in and out of the shower and help her to dry off. She felt so much better after her shower. Such a small thing that I think we take for granted. The act of bathing someone who can't bathe themselves such as a baby or an elderly parent, is a very age-old sign of love and caring. Very fundamental and human. A ritual purification that purifies the caregivers soul. This photo by Smith has always stayed with me since the first time I saw it. The love and sadness in Tomoko's mother's face is heart breaking.