Showing posts with label flour paste resist. Show all posts
Showing posts with label flour paste resist. Show all posts

Jan 6, 2016

H2OH! beginnings

I have begun planning a quilt for entry into the SAQA H2OH! show next year. The quilts are to interpret the importance of water in our lives.

Three ideas began to form in my head. Babies and mothers being ever present in my mind these days, holy water, and drought. I mulled these things over and over. I started thinking about places affected by drought and Africa came to mind first.

Mothers bathing their infants in countries where water is a precious commodity. And I could see in my mind, cracked dry earth.

Which then led me to think of flour paste resist. 

This is one of my favorite techniques. Nice and sloppy and messy! So that is where I am so far with this quilt.

Still working away on Clara's Many Moons. I'm sewing the larger parts together now and working on a border.

Mar 2, 2011

Flour paste flowers pt.2

After letting the flour paste dry, I painted in the flowers I had scratched into the wet paste the day before. I used Procion MX Chocolate Brown.

After painting over the flowers, I crumpled the whole thing a little bit and applied the dye all over.

After washing by hand in cold water and washing soda. The crinkle effect didn't come out quite the way I wanted. I like using flour as a resist as opposed to wax. It's so easy to get and make and cheaper than soy wax, etc.

I thought I would include this. Psychodelic Llamas! These are screen printed using watercolor crayon and mat medium. I used white school glue for the resist (circles).

Mar 1, 2011

It has been a while since I've posted. I have been sick. Got the cold/sore throat horror not once but twice. I had a relapse I guess. Not cool. And I work with kids so their like little walking snot factories. It's been great. I finally started feeling human again on Sunday, but my sinuses are still messed up. Enough whining.

This is a fat quarter that I've dyed yellow using Procion and the scrunch method of tie dye. Then I went in and brush painted blue and red. In this picture I'm applying a flour paste resist. You just make a 50/50 mix of regular white flour and cool water (hot water will give you glue). You pin down the top of the fabric and the flour paste over the fabric and squeegee it all over the surface.

When you have the fabric covered, you pin down the other sides so it doesn't curl too bad when it drys.

I then took a wooden skewer and drew in my design. I used the fat end. The pointy end makes too delicate of a line and the dye may have a hard time penetrating.

Now I will let this dry for 24 hours. When dry, I will go over the designs with MX dye and let that batch for 3 hours or so then rinse out the whole thing.

This is a complex cloth that I just kind of went coo coo on. Then decided to do a block print over the 20,000 layers of dye and stamps and everything else. We'll see how this turns out.

On the weaving front, I finally felt up to crawling around under the loom this morning and tyed it up for a twill. I'm going to warp for two 32" rugs.