I started working on and finished a piece for the SAQA Trunk Show a bit early. But I just knew in my mind what I wanted to do.
Once everything was quilted I was having a hard time with the binding. At first I tried facing the tiny quilt (7x10) and was unhappy with the results. The quilt seemed squished and distorted. I think that has to do with the small size of the quilt, in that a larger quilt could bear the facing better.
I settled on binding. I sort of like the way the black border looks.
I had fun doing this small piece and I think that's the idea. You're supposed to explore new techniques and try new things with this. I employed layering and free motion quilting. Also, her embroidered scarf and hair which I am very happy with.
old sketch from one of my sketch books. Sometimes I just feel like I need to stretch my wings a bit before starting on the next big project.