May 5, 2016

Trunk show

I started working on and finished a piece for the SAQA Trunk Show a bit early. But I just knew in my mind what I wanted to do.

Miss Ivy. 
Once everything was quilted I was having a hard time with the binding. At first I tried facing the tiny quilt (7x10) and was unhappy with the results. The quilt seemed squished and distorted. I think that has to do with the small size of the quilt, in that a larger quilt could bear the facing better.

I settled on binding. I sort of like the way the black border looks. 
I had fun doing this small piece and I think that's the idea. You're supposed to explore new techniques and try new things with this. I employed layering and free motion quilting. Also, her embroidered scarf and hair which I am very happy with.


Before starting on the next piece, I decided to do some experimentation with an old sketch from one of my sketch books. Sometimes I just feel like I need to stretch my wings a bit before starting on the next big project.