Mar 12, 2014

Redwork and whatnot

I know... I changed the background again. But I never saw the background with the little birds. I love little birds :-D



In the studio...
My manatee friend and I have already discovered something! He is what is known as redwork, which is simply red embroidery thread on white fabric. However, nothing really being simple, there is more to the story than that. On Sarah's Hand Embroidery blog, she gives a very interesting history of redwork.

In the garden...
Orchids are blooming

Love the abstract pattern in this flower!

My favorite...little wild orchids

Can you see the little bee flying away?

Beach sunflower

Mushrooms... the Grim Reaper of the plant world

On the bookshelf...
I finished listening to Doctor Sleep by Stephen King. Read by Will Patton. Stephen King had me at Salem's Lot. I have been a fan ever since. So I pretty much love everything he's ever written, but can't necessarily read everything he's ever written. Some of his books (i.e. It) I had to quietly close and carefully place on a dark shelf, because they scared the proverbial pants off of me. Doctor Sleep I will be able to finish. It is scary but not heart attack scary. That's never been my favorite thing about King anyway. My favorite thing about him as a writer is that he is a stone cold genius when it comes to character development. His people are so human and therefore so likable. So I definitely enjoyed this book. Doctor Sleep is part 2 of The Shining, so to speak. It's about what happens to Danny Torrance as a grown up. And if you haven't read the Shining but saw the movie... sorry, no comparison.

"A cat is a lion in a jungle of small bushes." --Indian Proverb