Apr 3, 2018

The Return of the Weaver

Natural dye yarn, commercial and handspun, mint and rosemary, alum and iron dip


Wow... it's been about 2 years since I last posted. Someone was asking me about the blog the other day, and so I thought I'd pay it a visit. Then I thought, what the heck! Let me bring this baby back to life. Like Frankenstein's monster.

A lot has happened over the past 2 years to keep me away. 2016 brought 2 grandbaby dolls, so I was pretty busy with that. Then 2017 was a  busy year with two quilt shows, so that means deadlines. And I have a 9-5'er in the midst of all this.  Oh and I am the caretaker for my 93 year old mother and disabled brother. So here I am in 2018. And I feel like I need to take some of my own advice from a past post. Being, not doing.

Which is why I decided not to enter a piece in the Season After Season exhibit. I started to work on a piece and then I just plain got tired and lost steam. I think part of the reason I lost steam too is because of the age old internal battle that has gnawed away at me since I first learned to weave in high school… the artisan vs. artist in me. I want to make something beautiful, but it has to be functional. I just can’t get past it. As the Shakers used to say:

"Beauty rests on utility"

So I’m sticking to functional quilts for a while. I won’t say forever! But for a very long while.