Nov 13, 2013

Weddings and kid art

My daughter's wedding went wonderfully well. It was just beautiful and the food, music, company was all great. We had a blast and the mother of the bride had a sore foot for days from all the dancing.
Here they are smashing cake in each other's faces


It was all a lot of fun but it took me a week to recover. Not just me though, ... my mom and my younger daughter, the maid of honor, both said the same.

In Messy Art:
This week we made totem poles for Native American Month. The kids were yapping so much I'm surprised they got anything accomplished.






I didn't mention this, but in our last class I had a little girl; quiet, beautiful child, who was also the most uptight kid I have ever seen. I had to draw an example of a scribble for her and then she proceeded to painstakingly try to copy exactly my example of a scribble. I told her to relax, that she was thinking too much. We were listening to Stella by Starlight or Killer Joe or some other uber mellow jazz tune, and I told her to let the music guide her. So she relaxed a bit and started to draw. Just then "dad" burst in the room and started telling her how to draw... "No, no! Do it this way"... I kid you not. I had to tell dad to leave. Told him she had to do this on her own. So he sort of gave me stink eye and left. By the end of the class, she had drawn her scribble but instead of mixing her primary colors to make secondary colors, she started drawing hearts in her design. I just let her go with it. Sometimes you just have to be left alone to do your own thing...like the Isley Brothers say:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nvudxqX_LA