Jun 19, 2013

Got to get outside once in a while

We have been doing a bit of gardening lately. Decided to build a combination butterfly/bee and veggie bed next to the back porch.

We'll be adding more pollinator plants, and the back of the bed will be for pole beans and banana peppers.

Looks like someone has already moved in.

Farmer Jerry watering the new bed.

Some random sorghum growing. We had a bird feeder in the back and I have a feeling one of the birds planted this... if you know what I mean.

And lastly, the mint, parsley, etc. is doing well despite the temps in the upper 80's.

Haven't been doing much in the collage realm lately. I've been busy learning a new weaving technique; Andean pebble weave on the inkle loom. And I finally understand it! Woooo hooo!! I've been watching the video, Supplementary Warp Patterning by Jacquetta Nisbet and at first she might as well have been speaking Greek. But it slowly became clear.


This is also a good source for learning this technique: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox1cD_9MnIk

This past Monday in Messy Art: Friendship bracelets.
Apparently I was the only dinosaur in the room who knew how to do macrame or even knew what macrame even is. The mothers looked at me like I had sprouted another head when I asked them if they had ever made macrame plant hangers. Ok, I'm a relic but the kids loved it once they got the hang of it.

Materials: yarn, bull clips, masking tape and a fun pencil (which the kids got to keep).

You loop the yarn over the pencil like you are casting onto knitting needles like so... two colors:


Then really it's just a series of square knots alternating back and forth. Make a number 4 - over the tail - under the middles - and through the 4. Simple right?
I learned to do this when I was 12 and loved it. The kids of course picked it up quicker than the moms.

Well that's all we have for now, right Levon? ....  Levon? ...