May 30, 2013

Backstraps and spiders

We just got back from a week off; staycation and part vacation. We started out with a trip to Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary which is run by the Audubon Society. It was beautiful, green and quiet... really quiet, which was pretty awesome.


Here's my husband worshipping the trees


A cypress tree with her baby air plant


I like this one. These are cypress knees which are outgrowths of the tree roots. This one looked like a native king with his feather crown on and his subjects around him.


This park was lovely and only about an hour away from the Rat Race. After trudging through the forest we drove down to Everglades City and had dinner at Miller's Oyster House which is a great place for fresh seafood. Good wine too!

Then we went away for a couple of days to Cresent City, FL and went canoeing in Ocala Natl. Forest at Juniper Springs. A four hour tour. Four. Even the S.S. Minnow was only a three hour tour! 
 Did I know about the alligators? Well, yeah, I was raised in Florida. Did I know about the sore butt from sitting in the canoe? Maybe. Did I know about the giant spiders that fell into your boat everytime we hit brush? Hell to the NO! This wouldn't normally be a big deal if I wasn't a captive in the canoe with no where to go save the water filled with alligators! This was my husband's bright idea and yes we're still married somehow.

So anyway we're back and back to work. Just thought I'd share these. They are backstrap weavings from Ecuador. My weaving buddy, Kathleen, who has lived there, has many examples at her home displayed on her walls. Looks so awesome!




The new cat hangout... my studio. I love it. It's so wonderful to have kitties on the loom