Mar 11, 2016

Many Moons fini


Grand baby quilt #2 is finished.

Why moons? Well, when Clara's mommy was a very little girl, I would take her to daycare on my way to work very early in the morning,... so early that the moon was often times still out. My daughter would sit in her car seat in the back and look out the window at the moon. I would sit in the front seat and make the moon talk to her. "Good morning bumblebee". And she would have whole conversations with the moon. So when it came time for a quilt for my little girl's, baby girl, I thought
moons.

Found an article in a recent Quilter's Art Magazine by Jude Hill. I usually just skim over magazine articles, so I was skimming this one and saw the word "weaving" which stoked my old weaver's fire (I have been thinking recently of pulling my Mirrix down from the closet and doing a little weaving). Unfortunately, the magazine disappeared before I had a chance to read the article, so the only words I remember are "weaving" and "backing cloth". I decided to just go with those two words and had a lot of fun with it! Jude Hill hand sews her quilts, which I can't do anymore because of arthritis in my hands. So I took my little woven strips to the sewing machine and played around with the free motion quilting foot. Making really cool, random sort of blocks? No measuring and rotary cutters? Yes please! This may be my new regular Saturday night thang.